As onboard fire extinguishers were not working, the flame had to be doused by putting the smartphone in a tray of water
The smartphone of a passenger onboard a Delhi-Indore flight caught fire on Friday resulting in panicÂ for nearly 120 passengers who eventually landed safely after the flame was extinguished by putting the device in water.
The handset, a Samsung J7, belonged to Delhi resident Arpita Dhal and was kept in her handbag under the seat.
Around 15 minutes into the flight, Arpita Dhal noticed smoke coming out of her bag and called the crew for help.
Arpita said that she would be lodging a complaint against Jet Airways as soon as she returns, for a major safety lapse of onboard fire extinguishers not working.
The airline staff had to immerse the phone in a tray of water to put out the fumes.
The phone has been confiscated for now and will be returned after investigations.
The Samsung J7 is among the South Korean giantâ€™s popular mid-range smartphones it sells in India.
The incident once again brought back memories of the Samsungâ€™s now-discontinued premium smartphone Galaxy Note 7, whose multiple infamous instances of catching fire prompted the DGCA to issue a ban on it last year.
The Note 7â€™s burning was apparently linked to a â€œvery rare manufacturing process errorâ€� as per a statement from a Samsung representativeÂ to CNET. The South Korean giant had apparently placed pressure of plates contained within battery cells, that triggered the explosions.
The Samsung Note 7 had caught fireÂ more than 112 times after a month's saleÂ - the most such incidents among all smartphones.
However, Samsung is not the only one in the blowing up list. There have been global reports of Apple and Xiaomi phones catching fire as well.